Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I am afraid of my new gadget

Ok - so I admit I can record in multiple tracks now and that is pretty cool. I just feel like I have purchased a device that can do 1257 things and I have figured out how to do three of them. I know there are only so many things my tiny brain can do and I am so happy to know how to do those three things I am caught up in my temporary euphoria. I know I need to keep learning so I can yell "I need more cowbell" someday and really mean it. I have my old Loop Station, which is still very cool, and I use it for the rhythm track now. I have a new machine that can customize drum solos and match tempos and I am using another devise to keep time on my recordings. I am comfortable with my ancient technology. It's like my rotary dial phone, 8-track and bell-bottom jeans. I love to get in my comfort zone and never get out. I promise I will learn. It may be in a few years but I will learn how to do this. What I need is a friend who knows how to record to come to my house and just show me. I do not like to read manuals and follow directions. That is why I still have a bag of spare pieces and doodads from when I assembled my barbeque. Every time I turn it on I still run away fearing my assemblage may be defective. At least I have insurance, eh?

So there. I just feel like a botard every time I turn on the device and try to learn a new task. I have bifocal glasses too so when I look at the instructions I have to lean my head back and look down my nose at the book. It makes me look like a botard. I don't mind being a botard, I just hate looking like one as well. I can't wait until I try to record vocals. That part of the book is really long and detailed. I fear it.

In response to Amelia's suggestion, I agree that having you, Lisa and Diane as my backup vocals is a positively bitchin' idea. Like I said, let me figure out how to record you all first, then we can act ike rock n' roll divas. I'll try to get better glasses in the meantime.

Puppies all around.

2 comments:

DiaNe said...

as divas, Lisa and I don't do "back up". And Dad, I remember the first time I used the word "botard" in front of my friends. Freshman year in college and they looked at me all funny.

It was then that I figured out that my dad makes up words.

Lisa B. said...

The new technologies make us feel stupid. I bought the Adobe Creative Suite because I had delusions of grandeur; now I feel like a moron because I'm not quite sure what Illustrator is actually FOR. Not how to do stuff, but why. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a clue about that before you bought the expensive piece of software? Hmm.